Re: Gnome Office [Re: Dublin meeting]

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 09:44:16 EDT

    On 24 Jun 2003, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

    > What you describe is something that easily done with the current apt-get
    > system without making the monstruosity that one .deb with
    > gnumeric+abiword+deps+whatnot.
    >
    > The same goes for rpm with apt4rpm or similar packaging systems.
    >
    > What you describe is a _hell_ that is derived from trying to simplify
    > what's already simple.
    >
    > What's the difference between:
    >
    > cd /mnt/zip ; rpm -ivh gnome-office-monster.rpm
    > and
    > cd /mnt/zip ; rpm -ivh gnome-office/*rpm

    In theory there shouldnt be any difference in practice I dont trust the
    second one to actually have all the bits I would need and to work first
    go.

    > If one is dumb enough to install software "package by package" than one
    > probably doesn't even install anything that doesn't come with the
    > distribution.

    It is not about intelligence. Using Debian, does not make a user smarter
    than a RedHat user, using Gentoo or buidling Linux from scratch does not
    make you smarter either. Different priorities, it is not that I cant
    figure it out it is that I dont care to. I would rather spend as little
    as possible of my time installing software.

    Sincerely

    Alan Horkan
    http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/