Re: Gnome Office [Re: Dublin meeting]

From: Rui Miguel Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 11:15:53 EDT

    On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 13:44, Alan Horkan wrote:
    > In theory there shouldnt be any difference in practice I dont trust the
    > second one to actually have all the bits I would need and to work first
    > go.

    In practice, if you install things from unknown and uncertain places,
    trojans horses _will_ hit you, eventually.

    If you want to go around installing things not ready for your system,
    your problem :)

    I can already imagine:

    rpm -ivh gnome-office-monstruosity.rpm
    (...)
    file /usr/bin/gnumeric
    from install of gnome-office-monstruosity conflicts with file from
    package gnumeric
    (...)

    Same for every other single shite. And don't even let me start with the
    libraries. Why do you think I'd rather AbiWord RPMS where possible to
    compile with most goodies requiring only what can be found in a current
    RedHat installation? Why am I glad Hubert removed the liubgal-2
    dependency? :)

    > > If one is dumb enough to install software "package by package" than one
    > > probably doesn't even install anything that doesn't come with the
    > > distribution.
    > It is not about intelligence. Using Debian, does not make a user smarter
    > than a RedHat user, using Gentoo or buidling Linux from scratch does not
    > make you smarter either. Different priorities, it is not that I cant
    > figure it out it is that I dont care to. I would rather spend as little
    > as possible of my time installing software.

    And I'm not directing this "intelligence" problem to anyone in
    particular, please be sure to know that I don't mean any offense! :)

    Hugs, Rui

    + So let's do it...?

    Please AVOID sending me WORD, EXCEL or POWERPOINT attachments. See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html