Re: [abiword-dev] Cheeky F***ers, Negative Advertising.

From: M. Fioretti (m.fioretti@inwind.it)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 13:47:46 EDT

    On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 17:52:25 at 05:52:25PM +0100, Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie) wrote:
    > immature maybe, not dumb.
    > > maybe illegal,
    > I dont believe that for a second.
    > Manually clicking on advertising they provided just could not be
    > illegal.
    >
    > The probably only pay a fixed amount and when that is gone hopefully they
    > will realise that they were just wasting their time with negative
    > advertising.
    >
    > > immature idea, and an ineffective one anyway. Nothing
    >
    > Negative advertising is immature.
    > I leave it to you to make your own decision of course but I dont think I
    > will be taking the high moral ground on this one (one of the post on
    > openoffice discuss suggested that this approach was beneath them/us).

    The illegal in the OOo thread is because they had started discussing
    automatic clicking, something similar to DDoS. Manual can't be
    illegal, of course. The dumb and immature part (with which I agree) is
    not for respect of those guys (which indeed I had *never* heard of
    before the posting here): it comes from the fact that this, and
    similar actions, would probably just give to Microsoft an excellent
    pretest to say "these immature, pouty open source kids"

    Thanks for the link. I know that it is better to post them, but I am
    on slow dialup and paying per minute, so I always do email offline.

    For the record, I am not connected to those guys, and would not use
    that product anyway, for principle reasons, but I have noticed that
    they got very nice review by sites which I estimate, like Linux and
    Main. Looking for points to improve (in both OOo and AbiWord) in those
    reviews, can't hurt.

             Ciao,
                            Marco Fioretti

    --
    Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein