Re: [abiword-dev] Cheeky F***ers, Negative Advertising.

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 14:25:13 EDT

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:

    > Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:21:23 +1000 (EST)
    > From: msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au
    > To: horkana@maths.tcd.ie
    > Cc: m.fioretti@inwind.it, abiword-dev@abisource.com
    > Subject: Re: [abiword-dev] Cheeky F***ers, Negative Advertising.
    >

    > > I would have appreciated it if you had posted the link at least to the
    > > search page of the archives. Here is a relevant post, i think it is at
    > > the start of the thread.
    > > http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=728283&listName=discuss
    > >
    > > Anyone else out there who is as at least as immature as I am please feel
    > > free to post this to Slashdot and cause real Distributed Denial of
    > > Service attack.
    > >

    > Hmm getting posted to slashdot this way would do wonders to promote their
    > product. I think they'd be delighted to get this publicity.

    Point taken.

    I find this kind of negative advertising to be objectionable and in poor
    taste and I think they should let their program stand on its own merits.

    I dont have any issues with the targeting of their advertising, merely
    their choice of text. With any luck a variety of programs will be able to
    find their niche but also interoperate and adhere to standards.

    > Ximian did the same thing to KDE too (which did make slashdot)

    found a link
    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/3015/1/
    http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-02-13-001-20-NW-GN-KE

    In these stories the objection seemed to be to the very targeting of the
    advertising, rather than any suggestion of poor taste in the advertising
    itself.

    > Cheers
    >
    > Martin

    Sincerely

    I guess this provides more motivation to heavily advertise Abiword 2 when
    it comes out.

    Alan Horkan
    http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

    PS While i am at it I may as well aid his quest to be the top Nat in
    google (he is only about 7th) and chuck in a link to
    Nat Friedman
    http://www.nat.org