Re: patch for libgnomedb headers

From: Rodrigo Moya (rodrigo@gnome-db.org)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 06:16:18 EDT

    On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 22:54, Eric Zen wrote:
    > On 2003.06.29 12:56 Rodrigo Moya wrote:
    > > <snip my sleep-deprived drivel>
    >
    > > I have been looking at OpenOffice to see what they do. I have just
    > > looked a little bit, and since I'm pretty ignorant on office apps,
    > > haven't found much, apart from the 'Data sources' dialog.
    >
    > /me looks for tutorial on Data Sources, as he doesn't have OO
    >

    > > What people use this dialog for?
    >
    > Ahh. Ever use Windows? It's kind of an embedded Access. You can use any old database for any number of reasons, even as Joe Sixpack. The example I see is showing a contacts kind of list, a "little black book" if you will (but no stars next to the names to tell you how good the night was).
    >
    > In answer to the question...view, edit, extract and store data (wasn't that just a bit obvious?)

    right, then that dialog is not for inserting data in the document, but
    just to manage the data sources?

    > > That is, what do they want the data from the database for?
    >
    > I'd suppose that depends on what data you were using. Let's pretend were at AW2.2 and we have all the scripting macro-powers we like to pretend are out there from time to time. If I wanted to send a business letter to Hank Hill about an anticipated need of more propane due to a party or some such, I might just pop up the command plugin, and start "memo: business: Hill, Hank". Gypsython pops up, formats the page properly and then extracts Hank's contact information via GDA, which will grab his contact information from my Business_Contacts table on my MySQL server.

    that sounds a much better thing.

    > 2.2 should be enough time for you to get your end of it done, eh? ;o)

    well, my intention is to work on all this before abiword 2.0/gnumeric
    1.2, so that they include as many of these features as possible. Most of
    the needed things are already implemented on libgda/libgnomedb, so the
    only work is to integrate them in abiword, so if that part is not too
    difficult, things should be done really soon.

    > > Would you like something like that dialog in abiword?
    >
    > Some decade, sure, but I'm not whizzing brains over it now.
    >
    > For future reference, I used the tutorial here:
    > http://www.roninsoftwaregroup.com/mysql/ooo.htm
    >
    > Yes, it's a Win-oriented tutorial, but I was able to follow it just fine.

    thanks, looks much better than me trying to guess :-)

    cheers