correctWord API

From: Raphael Finkel (raphael@cs.uky.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 14:11:03 EST

    Unfortunately, Aspell does not support Unicode, so far as I can tell.

    I grabbed aspell-0.50.3, and it still has utf-8 support on the todo list.
    Aspell seems to supersede pspell which supersedes ispell; I don't know of any
    spell checker (except for my own, which doesn't generate suggestion lists) that
    handles utf-8.

    My Yiddish ispell dictionary is usable, but it never suggests removing a letter
    or adding a letter (that's a two-byte change!), and it can't be set to ignore
    Yiddish open and close quotes, because their first byte in UTF-8 looks just
    like the first byte of many other letters.

    By the way, I don't see my Yiddish dictionary on the download page for AbiWord
    internationalizations; it should be placed there, even though ispell's ability
    to manipulate it is substandard. At least it generally shows what words are
    misspelled.

    Raphael