ClarisWorks Importer

From: Larin Hennessy (larin@science.oregonstate.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 14:36:18 EST

    I have been taking a look at the ClarisWorks importer using a test document
    that Seth sent me. And I have gotten to a point where I need a bit more
    help.

    Does anyone have any documentation on the ClarisWorks/AppleWorks file
    format? What follows is based on the existing code in the importer.

    The initial problem appears to be an endian-ness problem between PPC and
    Intel. The string 'ETBL' is looked for. then the following 8 bytes are
    used as
    a file offset to a second 'ETBL' string. Following the second 'ETBL'
    string,
    the importer again looks at the following 8 bytes as a file offset to
    the start of
    the actual character data.

    Once I treated the offset bytes as big-endian, I was able to get to the
    second
    'ETBL' string. But the offset after the second one does not appear to
    be valid.

    I understand that the code appears to be written for v5 of the file
    format, and the
    file that Seth sent me is from v6, so this might be the problem. But I
    would like
    to know if anyone else has any advice at this point. More test
    documents would
    also be helpful.

    -Larin