Re: commit: abi: remove bad color names, don't special-case ffffff

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 17:11:48 EST

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, F J Franklin wrote:

    > I don't know who added "ffffff" and "transparent" to the list of named
    > colors (which I spent ages copying out from the SVG standard), or why, but
    > if there's a reason can whoever please find a different solution to their
    > problem.
    >
    > Also, UT_parseColor was equateing "ffffff" with "transparent" - which
    > seemed a little daft to me. ffffff is white, not transparent. After all,
    > what happens if the page background isn't white?
    >
    > o remove "ffffff" and "transparent" from list of named colors
    > o don't equate "ffffff" with "transparent"

    That was me. I put them in there for backwards compatibility. If a
    property of color is found with the name "transperent" then the background
    color is not drawn. This is very useful for "highlighting" colors.

    The re now exist many documents in the wild with "transperent" and
    "ffffff" in them. We have to continue to support them.

    These properties were defined when we did not know how to "remove"
    properties so that have once defined a highlight colour we wanted to
    remove we just named the color transper and it when away.

    Same with a page background colour.

    Please check that removing a highlight and background colour still works.