Fwd: Re: Thank you for your class' AbiWord tutorial project

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 08:26:04 EDT

    Note: forwarded message attached.

    http://search.yahoo.com

    attached mail follows:

    Thank you, Dom, for your kind words.

    I'm glad that you're pleased with my student's writing and that you're planning
    to publish their best work to your website. If you only knew how far these
    student writers had to progress in one semester's time in order to produce these
    documents, you probably be even more impressed with their work than you already
    are. For my part, I'm thoroughly amazed that they, in the course of a single
    semester, learned how to mark-up text with html 4.0 and css 1; learned how to
    draft user-centered, task-oriented software documentation; completed an analysis
    of AbiWord and its user-base; and, finally, drafted, revised, and submitted the
    tutorials that you have in your possession. They really came a long way, and I'm
    so grateful that your developers have welcomed their contributions with open-arms.

    If you want to take a look at the assignment they had to complete, here's a
    direct link to the project webpage: http://tinyurl.com/asnk

    And, now, it's my turn to thank you for all the work you've put in to developing
    your open-source, cross-platform word processor. Your efforts to make word
    processing available to everyone have not gone unnoticed or unappreciated. In
    fact, it was my appreciation for what you've been doing that inspired me to
    transform this semester's major project in advanced technical writing into a
    kind of unsolicited AbiWord service learning opportunity. Well done, Dom, and
    thank you for your ongoing work on AbiWord. I'm glad we could be of service.

    All I'd like to add in parting is that some of my students might be interested
    in helping you rework sections of the tutorial that might still be a little
    rough. I know that they're on your mailing list, committed to their projects and
    your program, and excited by your positive assessment of their work. Perhaps --
    I don't know -- some of them might like to throw in with your development team
    and continue to work on expanding AbiWord's help documentation. If you could use
    their help, please let them know.

    Best of luck to you, to your fellow developers, and to AbiWord.

    Stan

    -----
    Stanley Harrison

    phone: 941-714-0866