Re: commit (HEAD): more word footnote work

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 08:04:31 EDT

    On 13 May 2003, Marc Maurer wrote:

    > Just a question: why do you need all those new methods in *abiword* to
    > just add the ability to import footnotes to an *importer*? The
    > WordPerfect importer for example only uses some appendStrux and
    > appendObject calls and that's it.
    >
    > Just wondering,
    > Marc

    Because the *text* for the footnote appears in the MS Word document a long
    way past where the footnote reference is. Either you fast forward to the
    text part of the MS Word doc and insert it in AbiWord, or you mark the
    place in abiword and come back to fill it when you reach the contents of
    the footnote.

    > Op di 13-05-2003, om 10:23 schreef Tomas Frydrych:
    > > The mechanism for importing footnote text is now in place, footnote
    > > references in main body are imported (both the automatic kind and
    > > manual kind). The foot/endnote bodies remain empty for now.
    > >
    > > Next I need to implement some new PD_Document methods for doing the
    > > actual body insertion; I have been thinking of a set of
    > > insertBeforeFrag methods parallel to the append methods and usable
    > > only while loading. In contrast to the regular insert methods these
    > > will not require doc position, instead will be passed the fragment
    > > before which to insert (in our case EndFootnoteSection).

    I think this is a good idea. It should work fine. There will be other
    cases in other importers where we can't always assume a one to one
    relationship between where text goes in abiword and where the file format
    puts the structure.

    Martin