Re: [Increasingly offtopic] Re: Artwork, branding, consistancey and stuff

From: ericzen (ericzen@ez-net.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 14:02:45 EDT

    On 2003.05.13 06:17 Alan Horkan wrote:

    > The three biggest reasons against rebranding:
    >
    > I B M

    Actually, hate them or love them, the best three reasons are:

     S C O

    When Santa Cruz became "Caldera," they lost potential customers, because no one
    ever heard of Caldera, or thought some future dot-bomb bought-out and F*ed over
    the company.

    Anyhow, in reading some of the points and consideration, I kind of DO like the
    ant. I think my problem with abi has been the quality of the drawing*, and the
    limited imagination put into using it. There are more imaginative people using
    the GNU logo!

    The ant's potentially cute, but none of the icon references get to the overall
    point, total consistency. Whatever gets selected, preferably before 2.0, it
    should be THE logo, not just the .abw logo, not just binary logo, not just the
    website logo, THE OVERALL HONEST TO BOB EVERYWHERE logo. Of course, I'm a
    nutter, but I think there's a point to it. Perhaps the nederlander could use
    some of his doodle time in class (read: when the teacher's talking) to redraw
    either logo ;o)

    *quality of the drawing: No offence to the creator, but I'm thinking, "Maybe
    if it looked like the Tux logo..."

    Anyhow, I now also forward some thoughts from Jan: