Re: Artwork, branding, consistancey and stuff [was Re: Fwd: Re: Your mega knowledge of abi history is requested [j.c@123mail.dk]]

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 06:34:41 EDT

    On Tue, 13 May 2003, Kenneth J. Davis wrote:

    > AH> > The forwarded conversation refers to overall inconsistency, not just
    > AH> > the "We can't do it pretty on Windows" thing. Web pages, the about
    > AH> > box, and probably the splash screen.
    >
    > AH> The bug report says that Jeremy (aka PerditionC) committed a partial
    > AH> fix.
    > AH> I dont have Windows XP and so I cannot check if the fix worked.
    > AH> I am still using the old Ant Icon without any problems.

    > Yes it works fine on 2000 & XP, and any other Windows that uses
    > icons with color depths > 16 (colors not bits). The ant is included
    > in the icon set for 16x16 & 32x32 16 color, i.e. Win9x compatibility
    > as the pen & paper icon looks horrible dropped to 16 colors, so

    So do the toolbar icons inside Abiword (some moron locked down
    a load of machines I had to use with only 256 colours).

    > it will need to be hand redrawn for that. This also applies to
    > the setup icon, which is 32x32 16 color. The Windows splash

    I never liked the setup icon (it mixes a high colour greyish monitor icon
    with the tiny clear and distinct 2 colour 16x16 ant head) but then I like
    my icons to represent an idea with clear lines and the minimum necessary
    colours, which makes me terribly unfashionable (dammit, I'm turning into a
    Macintosh nostalgic).

    My plan was to copy the ant icon and painstakingly, pixel by pixel clean
    it up to look good at 48x48 pixels. We could then consistantly use the
    ant icon for the installer the binary and on Windows XP binaries.

    > screen & about box are the same images used on the Linux 1.0.4 version.

    I forgot the splash screen was the same, but I got confused, the Gnome
    builds used to use (and probably still do use) the standard Gnome Widget
    for the about Dialog instead of the abiword specific about dialog.

    > If these have been updated to different ones in newer versions I
    > overlooked [or have forgotten] the commit message. So point me
    > to what image is used and we can update the Windows build to match
    > (assuming Jordi/Dom approves).

    sorry no need to change there, i was more suggesting not bothering with an
    image in the about dialog at all, one less thing to keep track of.

    > I'll avoid other comments, if you read any of my prior posts on
    > the issues, I'm in favor of 100% Abi (the ant) artwork, but doing
    > so results in more complaints than I want to read.

    > Is the page about Abi still around?

    Yes, but it is way out of date.
    http://www.abisource.com/~abi/
    If anyone does decide to remove old pages from the abisource site please
    dont, instead put at message at the top of the page marking the page as
    obselete and linking to the frontpage and also if available suggesting a
    alternative page.

    I had better get started drawing Abi 48x48...

    Sincerely

    Alan Horkan
    http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/