Re: Commit: windows unicode input update

From: Daniel Glassey (danglassey@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 06:09:52 EDT

    On Thursday 22 May 2003 3:09 am, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
    > Hi Daniel.
    > This is much needed work, but I'm very confused by the
    > code I've seen so far.
    > You seem to be making explicit calls to the xxxA or
    > xxxW functions.
    > If we are now *dependent* on unicows, shouldn't we
    > just define the preprocessor symbol UNICODE and call
    > the unadorned xxx functions? This way we can have both
    > ANSI and UNICODE builds until the UNICODE build is
    > stable enough to take over. It will also result in
    > better code IMHO.

    The reason I haven't gone for a full unicode build to start with is that all
    the gui resource strings are char* but in a unicode build they must be passed
    in as UCS2.
    I started to try doing that but it got too messy and obscured the initial
    problem I was trying to deal with (unicode input with Keyman).

    > In other places, including my own code, we have
    > explicit xxxA or xxxW calls, but in these cases we
    > check at runtime for the presence of the xxxW calls
    > so we avoid the unicows dependency.

    Could you give me an example of that please - I didn't see them? (if it
    doesn't end up being messy it would be worth doing that for these bits as
    well)

    > It's my opinion that the combination of the
    > dependency,
    > the loss of the ANSI-only build, and the explicit
    > xxxA / xxxW function calls is the least elegant way
    > to go about Unicodizing AbiWord.

    The reason for the explicit xxxW calls is so that unicode input can be
    accepted even on a predominantly ANSI build.

    It is also only a step along the path to a full UNICODE build rather than
    being the endpoint,

    > I would like to hear your and others' opinions.

    Regards,
    Daniel