Re: Commit: windows unicode input update

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 22:09:11 EDT

    Hi Daniel.
    This is much needed work, but I'm very confused by the
    code I've seen so far.
    You seem to be making explicit calls to the xxxA or
    xxxW functions.
    If we are now *dependent* on unicows, shouldn't we
    just define the preprocessor symbol UNICODE and call
    the unadorned xxx functions? This way we can have both
    ANSI and UNICODE builds until the UNICODE build is
    stable enough to take over. It will also result in
    better code IMHO.

    In other places, including my own code, we have
    explicit xxxA or xxxW calls, but in these cases we
    check at runtime for the presence of the xxxW calls
    so we avoid the unicows dependency.

    It's my opinion that the combination of the
    dependency,
    the loss of the ANSI-only build, and the explicit
    xxxA / xxxW function calls is the least elegant way
    to go about Unicodizing AbiWord.

    I would like to hear your and others' opinions.

    Andrew Dunbar.

     --- Daniel Glassey <danglassey@ntlworld.com> wrote: >
    Daniel Glassey wrote:
    > > ok, I've got permission to land the patch so here
    > goes. Remember, you'll
    > > need to get unicows.lib from somewhere if you want
    > to be able to build.
    > > (libunicows.sf.net for mingw, and msvc if you
    > don't have it from
    > > somewhere else)
    > >
    > CVS: Committing in .
    > CVS:
    > CVS: Modified Files:
    > CVS: src/af/xap/win/xap_Win32FrameImpl.cpp
    > CVS:

    > unicode input still works when the
    > XAP_Win32FrameImpl frame is an ansi
    > one. So putting it to that so that the titlebar
    > works again
    >
    > > win32 unicode input patch, using some W api
    > functions so need to
    > > build with unicows.lib, and appropriate window
    > classes are W to accept
    > > unicode messages
    > >
    > > Known issues (will put in bugzilla when have
    > time):
    > > (1)The titlebar doesn't show the filename, just
    > the first letter - I
    > > assume it needs it passed in in unicode but I
    > haven't seen where yet.
    >
    > fixed
    >
    > > (2)Typing in Hebrew leaves a lot of pixel dirt.
    >
    > still there
    >
    > > (3)Typing in Thai for a bit gets the cursor in the
    > wrong place, then abi
    > > crashes when the cursor is way past the end of the
    > line.
    >
    > still there, possibly related to bug 2868
    >
    > > (4)Using an IME to input Chinese(either), Japanese
    > or Korean puts in
    > > lots of ? instead of the right characters.
    >
    > I reckon that is bug 3477 so the unicode input fix
    > has had no effect on
    > that.
    >
    > > (5)Asserts in Toolbar for szState or something
    > (haven't replicated it
    > > today but just so you know it might turn up)
    >
    > still haven't found that again
    >
    > Regards,
    > Daniel

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com

    It's Samaritans' Week. Help Samaritans help others.
    Call 08709 000032 to give or donate online now at http://www.samaritans.org/support/donations.shtm