Re: changes made to find and replace win32

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 09:47:03 EDT

    On 22 May 2003, Stephen Waters wrote:

    > Date: 22 May 2003 08:13:52 -0500
    > From: Stephen Waters <swaters@luy.info>
    > To: D. Elbers <deje_auto@hotmail.com>
    > Subject: Re: changes made to find and replace win32
    >
    > You know, I wish there were some sort of freedesktop.org initiative on
    > labels for Find/Replace dialogues. It just sucks that Mozilla, Abi,
    > Galeon, Gnome, KDE, etc. tend to have different labels for the same
    > toggles.

    I noticed the other day a dialog that had been changed from Find to Search
    (in an unrealated project). I assumed the guy knew what he was doing and
    pondered that Search makes more sense as Find seems more optimistic that
    you will actually find something.
    But I am probably reading too much into it.

    If you want consistancey then be the person that proposes it.
    How about a generic Gnome Find widget even? (If it doesn't already
    exist why force people code their own inconsistant widgets, do lazy
    hackers everywhere a favour!).

    A quick look at the Gnome HIG turned up this which is not particlarly
    relevant but I am going to mention anyway as I made the effort
    http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/userinput.html
    Find and Search
    If your application requires both Edit->Find and Edit->Search menu items,
    use Shift-Ctrl-F as the shortcut for Search.

    Sincerely

    Alan Horkan
    http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/