Re: Commit: Localized normal.awt files

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 06:55:54 EDT

    On Mon, 26 May 2003, [iso-8859-1] Andrew Dunbar wrote:

    > Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 05:53:42 +0100 (BST)
    > From: "[iso-8859-1] Andrew Dunbar" <hippietrail@yahoo.com>
    > To: AbiWord Developers <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
    > Subject: Re: Commit: Localized normal.awt files
    >
    > --- Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz@yahoo.com> wrote: >
    > This should go a long way toward addressing a lot of
    > > bugs. I'll find and close the specific ones shortly.
    > >
    > > Basically, I removed the PageSize and DocumentLocale
    > > settings from the System.Profile files. I'm not sure
    > > if the LTR/RTL preference can get scrapped too,
    > > since
    > > it's included in the "Normal" style and the <abiword
    > > props=""> sections of the normal.awt. Tomas will
    > > know
    > > the answer to this.
    > >
    > > So, this solves a lot of bugs. "Spelling resets to
    > > English", the ability to set different fonts for
    > > different locales (eg: David for Hebrew, MS Mincho
    > > for
    > > Japanese, ...), page sizes, ...
    > >
    > > I'll be able to scrap the ruler units preference
    > > shortly, based on the document's units, thus
    > > scrapping
    > > another needless pref and point of failure.
    > >
    > > PLATFORM MAINTAINERS: you'll have to remove a few
    > > controls from your Options dialog. When I scrap the
    > > units pref, there will be one more to remove too.
    > > This
    > > is a good thing (tm). Sorry for the temporary
    > > breakage, but I'm hoping it will be minor and the
    > > benefit far outweighs the cost.
    >
    > Hi Dom. Looks good.
    > I'm wondering if we can ultimately just scrap the
    > profiles in favour of normal.awt at some point?

    I am pretty sure you cant and that it doesn't make sense. It might take
    me a while but I am sure I can find a some screw cases.

    I dont think it makes sense to store toolbar settings and menu layout on a
    per document basis*, which is what I think would happen if you were trying
    to store everthing in Normal.awt.

    [* although I would quite like to be able to use a different profile for
    Plaintext documents, where I dont need most of the formatting toolbar,
    but that is a whole other story]

    It would suck to have to ship a Normal.awt for every locale.
    Can Normal.awt be generated at runtime based on current locale?

    > If not, what is the dividing line about what belongs
    > in one place or the other?
    > Also are our docs going to sufficient trouble to
    > educate users about normal.awt, how to make best use
    > of it, and what it can and cannot do?
    >
    > I've never used normal.dot under Word so I don't know

    Normal.dot, yet another place to store fun viruses and infect every new
    document you create!
    My biggest memory of Normal.dot was that if it was read only I would get a
    whole lot of annoying warnings telling me I was not allowed to change it.

    Later

    Alan