Re: Commit: Localized normal.awt files

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 00:53:42 EDT

     --- Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz@yahoo.com> wrote: >
    This should go a long way toward addressing a lot of
    > bugs. I'll find and close the specific ones shortly.
    >
    > Basically, I removed the PageSize and DocumentLocale
    > settings from the System.Profile files. I'm not sure
    > if the LTR/RTL preference can get scrapped too,
    > since
    > it's included in the "Normal" style and the <abiword
    > props=""> sections of the normal.awt. Tomas will
    > know
    > the answer to this.
    >
    > So, this solves a lot of bugs. "Spelling resets to
    > English", the ability to set different fonts for
    > different locales (eg: David for Hebrew, MS Mincho
    > for
    > Japanese, ...), page sizes, ...
    >
    > I'll be able to scrap the ruler units preference
    > shortly, based on the document's units, thus
    > scrapping
    > another needless pref and point of failure.
    >
    > PLATFORM MAINTAINERS: you'll have to remove a few
    > controls from your Options dialog. When I scrap the
    > units pref, there will be one more to remove too.
    > This
    > is a good thing (tm). Sorry for the temporary
    > breakage, but I'm hoping it will be minor and the
    > benefit far outweighs the cost.

    Hi Dom. Looks good.
    I'm wondering if we can ultimately just scrap the
    profiles in favour of normal.awt at some point?
    If not, what is the dividing line about what belongs
    in one place or the other?
    Also are our docs going to sufficient trouble to
    educate users about normal.awt, how to make best use
    of it, and what it can and cannot do?

    I've never used normal.dot under Word so I don't know
    much about this area.

    Andrew Dunbar.