Re[2]: RFC: Tree Changes

From: Kenneth J. Davis (jeremyd@computer.org)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 16:37:05 EST

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:27:43 +0100 Marc Maurer <j.m.maurer@student.utwente.nl> wrote:

    MM> Thx for the feedback Jeremy.
    MM>
    MM> As for the plugin mess, they current situation needs some fixing, and
    MM> the extra GIE package does not help at all. I'll try to come up with a
    MM> better download page though, to see if that helps. But i very much
    MM> doubt
    MM> it. Users just want to download 1 setup.exe or whatever and be done
    MM> with it.

    For the 2.0.2 release, I will hopefully have time to improve the
    installer a bit on Windows and will re-merge the Glib/GSF based plugins
    into the I/E installer chunk, but there will still be a 3rd download
    for the glib components. I'm going to try and set it up so that if
    you have installed a compatible set of glib runtimes already (such as
    for gimp) then we use them instead, or optionally have the installer
    download it at install time if you have selected one of the plugins
    that require it. So only users that really want a Glib/GSF based plugin
    and choose not to or can't download via the installer (or don't have
    it previously installed) will need to manually download the glib
    runtime. For the next abi release that requires glib in its core,
    the installer will include it, and if things don't work out as I'd
    like or users complain, for a 2.0.3 release I'll add them to the I/E
    installer.

    MM> Also mind that on Linux, we don't have an automated installer. RedHat
    MM> has fixed this issue by providing Abi and the plugins all in just 1
    MM> RPM.
    MM> And I can't see anything wrong with that. I've seem many happy users
    MM> because of that rpm already.

    Just to be clear, I am not against a single setup with plugins, I am
    against only providing a single a setup with plugins.

    MM> As for the docs, with the current situation we have lots of releases
    MM> that don't include docs. If the build process just fails on it, we
    MM> _have_ to fix it. Now we seem to just skip it most of the time.
    MM> Moreover, distro's do what they please. I doubt for example that debian
    MM> includes our docs, since they are not forced to include them.

    That is a good reason to include them, I wasn't aware someone making
    a distribution would not even be sure docs are there. I'd hate to
    see them make a Windows distrubution, where if you run make twice you
    could loose the default dictionary (odd copy bug).

    MM> > But do what you want,
    MM>
    MM> I certainly will not. I don't claim my view/ideas are perfect in any
    MM> soft of way.

    It wasn't refering particulary to you, and was not meant to be taken
    in a negative light, simply do what you (meaning the developers in
    general) think is best for the project, I may be sluggish to adjust
    to change, but eventually I will, and may even like it better. :-)

    MM> Marc

    Jeremy