Re: RFC: Tree Changes

From: Marc Maurer (j.m.maurer@student.utwente.nl)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 16:27:43 EST

    Thx for the feedback Jeremy.

    As for the plugin mess, they current situation needs some fixing, and
    the extra GIE package does not help at all. I'll try to come up with a
    better download page though, to see if that helps. But i very much doubt
    it. Users just want to download 1 setup.exe or whatever and be done with
    it.
    Also mind that on Linux, we don't have an automated installer. RedHat
    has fixed this issue by providing Abi and the plugins all in just 1 RPM.
    And I can't see anything wrong with that. I've seem many happy users
    because of that rpm already.

    As for the docs, with the current situation we have lots of releases
    that don't include docs. If the build process just fails on it, we
    _have_ to fix it. Now we seem to just skip it most of the time.
    Moreover, distro's do what they please. I doubt for example that debian
    includes our docs, since they are not forced to include them.

    > But do what you want,

    I certainly will not. I don't claim my view/ideas are perfect in any
    soft of way.

    Marc