Re: RFC: Tree Changes

From: Ted Lemon (mellon@fugue.com)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 16:16:00 EST

    On Nov 3, 2003, at 2:52 PM, Kenneth J. Davis wrote:
    > I find having plugins and docs outside
    > the tree as simplifying, not complicating.

    Speaking as an actual newcomer who is not really all that comfortable
    around the tree yet, I must respectfully disagree. The degree of
    complexity and fussiness of the build and the fact that there are a
    number of independent build trees creates a real problem for me. It's
    surmountable, sure, but I spent several days getting AbiWord to build
    the first time, and I haven't tried again in a long time, and I don't
    expect it to be substantially easier next time I do try. And I still
    don't understand how to get plugins to work right. I've done it, I
    think, but only through trial and error, and again, I'm not sure what I
    did that made it work, nor am I convinced I could do it again without a
    similar expenditure of effort.

    My reaction to Marc's proposal was *go dude*. I'm sorry to hear that
    this isn't an idea that has universal support - it certainly has mine.