Re: RFC: Tree Changes

From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 03:56:21 EST

    On lun, 2003-11-03 at 19:21, Marc Maurer wrote:

    > Proposed Tree Changes:
    >
    > General Cleanup
    > ===============
    >
    > 1) Move the abiword-docs module into ./abi/docs

    OK

    > 2) Create ./abi/projects and move IDE projects to it, ie.:
    > ./abi/projects/msvc
    > ./abi/projects/anjuta
    > ./abi/projects/...

    given that I have project Builder stuff too, I might agree. But, in my
    case, I find it more convenient to do it the way I do.

    > 3) Move the abiword-plugins module into ./abi/src/plugins/wp and
    > compile them by default *). Add the configure switches that
    > are currently present in the abiword-plugins module to abi's
    > configure, so people who don't want plugins can disable
    > building them.

    Agreed 200%. In fact I'm more and more thinking that we should provide
    plugins as part of the package, and let people with lower requirement
    not compile them, and stick to dynamically loaded plugins for
    convenience. I know that a large part of AbiWord criticism comes from
    none installation of various plugins....

    > This also means shipping them by default in _1_ package. Feedback
    > like
    > http://gnomedesktop.org/comments.php?op=Reply&pid=19257&sid=1426&mode=nested&order=0&thold=-1
    > means we are not serving our users the best way we can. IMO, users
    > prefer having most functionality by default any day over a download
    > package that is as small as possible. They just want it
    > "To Work", something we cannot say at all giving our current
    > plugin distribution method.

    Agreed. Hence my requirement to bring back a few image loaders to the
    core.

    [...]

    > Making room for AbiShow
    > =======================
    > (Only to be done when developers show interest)
    >
    > 1) Add an ./abi/src/show/ directory for the AbiShow application
    > The layout of this dir will mirror the structure ./abi/src/wp, ie:
    > ./abi/src/show/
    > ./abi/src/show/ap
    > ./abi/src/show/ap/{xp,unix,win,qnx,mac}
    > We can start by just 'forking' ./abi/src/wp/ into ./abi/src/show/
    > 2) Some dialogs currently residing in ./src/wp/ap, like the
    > FormatTable dialog might be moved to ./src/af/xap/, since
    > they will be both used by AbiWord and AbiShow.
    > 3) Fiddle around with the build system to allow the building
    > of AbiShow

    Agreed.

    For people complaining about slowliness, I thought about switching to
    subversion to replace CVS. No one agreed....
    I should try to do an experimental server to see if that improves speed
    asked. The reasons behind switch to subversion are even more related to
    the feature set rather than only speed.
    (no, I'm not offering to switch to the controversial BitKeeper, even
    though I begin to like it more and more)

    At worse we could move to a fresh CVSRoot.

    Hub

    --
    "<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping,
    it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it