Export as minimal XHTML?

From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 23:56:40 EST

    I'm using AbiWord 2.01 for Windows to convert a Word document to XHTML.

    The Word document is a Romanian translation of an English XHTML page I wrote, so
    it should convert very naturally.

    However, when I do the conversion, there's an awful lot of extra markup I don't
    want. For example, instead of just the <p> tag AbiWord gives:

    What I'd really like is for AbiWord to export my document with no stylesheet
    information at all, so I can go back in to the document and put in the styles I
    want.

    I can certainly edit AbiWord's output by hand, but the whole reason I tried
    using AbiWord to do this was because Word produces such verbose markup. It is
    helpful though that AbiWord looks like it produces valid markup. I'd be quite
    surprised if Word did so.

    Here's the whole stylesheet for the English language original page:

    <!--
            body { background-color: #e0e0e0; color: #000000; }
            .center { text-align: center; }
            h1 { text-align: center; }
            h2 { text-align: center; }
            img.banner { border: none; }
    -->

    So you can see I don't need all the markup AbiWord produces.

    It would also be nice if there were a way to have AbiWord insert line breaks in
    the XHTML text, to make it easier to edit with a plain text editor.

    Thanks for any tips you can give me.

    Mike

    --
    Michael D. Crawford
    http://www.goingware.com

    "I give you this one rule of conduct. Do what you will, but speak out always. Be shunned, be hated, be ridiculed, be scared, be in doubt, but don't be gagged." -- John J. Chapman, "Make a Bonfire of Your Reputations" http://www.goingware.com/reputation/