Re: More thoughts on AbiShow

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@seviorpc.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 00:46:32 EST

    On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 15:18, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
    > At 2:13 PM +1100 11/7/03, Martin Sevior wrote:
    > >No. The ideas are all in my head. I have an idea of how this could
    > >happen utilizing most of the Abi codebase.
    >
    > And that may well be possible, but I think you would end up
    > with a program that wouldn't work like people wanted and that would
    > need major work later on.
    >

    > >The construction of text part would be all done with the Abi codebase
    > >with input being limited to text boxes.
    >
    > Right - but that's the SIMPLEST part of the program!
    >

    > First thing you need to do is determine the metaphor - are
    > you a "slide-based" tool or an "outline-based" one? Each has
    > advantages and disadvantages...

    The metaphore is a "slide based" I think. At least I think that is what
    PowerPoint is and I want a program like Powerpoint.

    > Then you should consider how "masters" work. Are they
    > initial "templates" or are they true "style sheets"?

    OK I see what you mean. In my view they would be styles. We would
    enlarge our style coverages to allow per fl_SlideLayout properties.

    > Also, how do
    > you track per-slide changes to template elements - or don't you?

    In general per slide changes would not change the templates. That would
    happen via something like our style dialog.

    > etc...

    Ask more! This is very enlightening.

    Martin