Re: Valencian version

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 21:29:37 EST

    My two cents in that it would be lovely if anything
    that anybody felt was a language could be added.
    I've often suggested that depending on ISO language
    tags isn't good enough. It's good enough for Catalan
    to work but not good enough for Valencian yet since
    ISO doesn't recognize it. It doesn't recognize lots of
    minor languages though.

    As for language versus dialect, ISO already recognizes
    quite a few dialects with their own code (Norwegian in
    particular) and in other cases merges many distinct
    languages into one code (Austrlian languages are only
    one example).

    As for Ethnologue, it's the bible of languages as far
    as I'm concerned but even its languages code are not
    sufficient since they are not interested in artificial
    languages and provide no codes for most of them.

    I hate to say it but Microsoft are the lucky ones this
    way because they can just invent another number every
    time they think another language/dialect/whatever
    deserves their support.

    If you really want computer support for your language
    you should focus your lobbying on ISO, Ethnologue, and
    Microsoft!

    In short, if we can have a way for Valencian to get a
    working language code, then we should allow people to
    use such a strings file and we should put the strings
    file on our web site. Valencian, Catalan speakers can
    make mature choices of their own as to what strings
    they wish to use and which they wish to boycott.

    Andrew Dunbar.

     --- Jordi Mas <jmas_at_softcatala.org> wrote: > En/na
    Dom Lachowicz ha escrit:

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sf.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com