Can't build using MinGW Win32API 2.4

From: Stephen Viles (sviles_abi_at_iinet.net.au)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 20:25:24 EST

    Hi Ryan,

    I am replying back to the list so this gets into the archives.

    >About compilation:
    >
    >I've got my MSYS, MingW, and latest w32api from mingw.org, all installed
    >according to their instructions. On my abi folder that I checked out
    >(using cvs -z3 checkout abi abidistfiles etc.. through rest of modules)
    >(which I think is HEAD), I go into the folder, make, it goes a long,
    >long way, compiles a lot, but then dies like this:
    >
    >ut_Win32Locale.cpp:
    >ut_Xpm2Bmp.cpp:
    >ut_sleep.cpp:
    >In file included from d:/mingw/include/windows.h:55,
    > from ut_sleep.cpp:24:
    >d:/mingw/include/winuser.h:3411: type specifier omitted for parameter `
    > BLENDFUNCTION'
    >d:/mingw/include/winuser.h:3411: parse error before `*' token
    >make[4]: ***
    >[/d/src/abiroot/abi/src/MINGW32_1.0.9_i386_OBJ/obj/ut_sleep.o] Error 1
    >make[4]: Leaving directory `/d/src/abiroot/abi/src/af/util/win'
    >make[3]: *** [build] Error 2
    >make[3]: Leaving directory `/d/src/abiroot/abi/src/af/util'
    >make[2]: *** [build] Error 2
    >make[2]: Leaving directory `/d/src/abiroot/abi/src/af'
    >make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
    >make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/src/abiroot/abi/src'
    >make: *** [compile] Error 2
    >
    >Administrator_at_QUENYA /d/src/abiroot/abi
    >$
    >

    >I've tried reinstalling MSYS, MingW, the W32API's (I installed 2.4 over
    >whatever came with mingw after I found that what came with it didn't
    >work, and it still doesn't work).
    >
    >Any ideas?

    The problem is caused by the 2.4 version of Win32API. I was using 2.3
    and compiling OK. I upgraded to 2.4 and got the above error. I then
    re-installed 2.3 and ut_sleep.cpp compiled OK.

    http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/w32api-2.3.tar.gz?download

    This is a known problem with MinGW Win32API 2.4:
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=825438&group_id=2435&atid=102435
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=807508&group_id=2435&atid=102435
    There's some mention of a possible fix in this bug report, but I haven't tried it.

    >Oh, and I'm a pretty-much newbie to CVS (I had previously done a bit of
    >dev with VSS, but not CVS), so I have no idea what I've checked out is
    >(Is it CVS-HEAD?) and how to change trees or whatever so I can get
    >STABLE-2.

    The default is to check out HEAD. You can check out the stable 2.0.x
    branch using the -r checkout option like this:

    cvs -z3 checkout -r ABI-2-0-0-STABLE abi abidistfiles

    See the official CVS manual for more checkout options:
    http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.6/cvs_16.html#SEC121

    >Sorry for bothering you, but I'm hoping I can help out Abi
    >efforts on Win32, if only I can get this working....

    We could use some help on Win32, so your efforts would be appreciated.

    Cheers - Stephen.