Re: Win32 Screen Shots for CVS

From: Mike Nordell (tamlin_at_algonet.se)
Date: Sun Nov 23 2003 - 22:14:42 EST

    Ryan Pavlik wrote:

    > In the process of doing so, I noticed that Columns has changed, too.
    <snipped columns dialog screenshot>

    Is that really how it's supposed to look - a big fat black border
    surrounding the the preview "page"?

    It also seems to me the spacing between the "Preview" group box and that
    black mass is way less than what it should be. I recall something about 7
    and 4 DLU's (and the calculations used for pixels->DLU conversion and back).

    Another thing that got my attention was that it displayed inches down to the
    fourth decimal, even when 0.25 (which I'd venture to guess americans would
    rather like to see as 1/4" ?) or even zero. Telling that a value is 0, or
    0.0000, seems to me be more of an interest for academic research
    auto-parsing software than anything that belongs in a UI. :-)

    Which brings me to... Would it perhaps be time to create an XP class for
    these "unit" kind of values? Not only for their display, but also for the
    internal representation and (de)serializing to the document to not loose
    precision in e.g 7/31<unit> to some SI unit. That class (or some helper
    functions using it) would then obviously use both unit and preferred display
    (decimal/fraction). Just an idea.

    /Mike