Re: 2.0.2 release?

From: msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 08:09:00 EST

    >> However I also to want to point out we're only 4 months away from our
    >> projected 2.2.0 release so it's not like users will have to wait too
    >> long
    >> anyway.
    >
    > Four months is optimistic ;-) At least in win32, there is a diference
    > between
    > we release a version and when it becomes really usable for end-users.
    > 2.0.x
    > series are just been usable for win32 and we did the official release a
    > few
    > months back. I'm in favour of backporting everything to 2.0.x and making
    > an
    > extra effort for having end-user ready version. I know that Unix versions
    > are
    > always in much better shape that win32.

    2.2.0 has nowhere near the amount of destabilizing changes that 2.0 had.
    2.2 is actively collecting all the bug fixes that go into 2.0.x so the bugs
    we'll see in 2.2 are almost all going to be in the new features.

    Regarding win32 vs Unix. Most of the delay in 2.0.x was because of some
    fundamental engineering that was not picked up by the Win32 maintainers
    early enough. Now that more of us Unix hackers can do Win builds I hope
    that these issues can be fixed sooner.

    I think if we add new features for another 2 months, a 2 month feature
    freeze with only bug fixes allowed should get us a nice new 2.2 in about 4
    months.

    I hope we can maintain this ratio of 4 months for new features followed by
    2 months of feature freeze for the rest of the AbiWord development
    process.

    6 months between new stable releases is a nice "heartbeat" that emphasizes
    the health of the project and new features for users.

    I can't think of any new feature or change in the Abiword code base that
    would require a longer time than this.