Re: PATCH: Next 5291 speedup

From: msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 09:31:46 EDT

    > Well, running Abiword under the debugger can skew the import time. Big
    > oops.
    >
    > So after going back and re-measuring, here's the times for importing the
    > RTF doc, and importing and building the RTF doc using Abiword along
    > with the various patches. Also timed Word for comparison.
    >
    > Import Import+Build
    >
    > 68 92 Abiword 2.0.0
    > 16 33 Abiword + Patch 1
    > 9 26 Abiword + Patches 1-2
    > 4 23 Abiword + Patches 1-3
    >
    > 3 8 Word 2000

    Hi Johnny,
             Thanks very much for this work. There are two next steps I can
    think of.

    1. Try the same thing with the word version of the document. (I think
    there is some code in the MS Word importer that makes some too general
    asumptions and could easily be optimized.)

    2. Try profiling the layout fill phase to see if there is anything in
    particular that is a bottleneck. We're currently using the GTK table
    layout algorithim which is extremely robust but might be the cause of the
    slow fill time in the those huge tables.

    In any case we need to know.

    However for the average user the Time to first document view is vastly
    improved. From over one minute to 4 seconds. That's a huge improvement.

    Congrats!

    Martin