Re: Commit: 5829

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 10:44:56 EDT

    Hi Jordi,

    > 5 of the last 10 ten bugs that I fixed were related
    > to changes made to the XP
    > code assuming the win32 FE can process UTF-8
    > directly as GTK does for you guys
    > in Linux.

    That would be "GTK+, MacOSX, QNX, and BeOS", actually.

    > You can test that your changes do not break the
    > win32 build before committing
    > them, or you can send a message to list asking the
    > win32 hackers to check that
    > the option that you just hack works well for win32.

    Instead, I'm going to ask that our win32 port be made
    to "not suck" with regard to handling encodings. It's
    wrong to have strings without knowing their encodings
    in our code. Further, that encoding shouldn't be
    "whatever the user's current codepage is."

    If win32 needs strings in the current codepage, it can
    convert from UCS4 or UTF8 into the native windows
    codepage. It's easy enough to do - you should perhaps
    even create a class to do this conversion for you.

    In short, I'm not going to hobble and break our other
    4 platforms just so win32 doesn't look broken.

    I can ask that Hub back-out this patch from STABLE.
    However, a stated goal of AbiWord 2.2 is "use utf8 and
    ucs4 strings internally in order to do
    internationalization properly." So this patch stays.
    I'm sorry.

    Best regards,