Re: Commit: 5829

From: Jordi Mas (jmas@softcatala.org)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 11:01:32 EDT

    > That would be "GTK+, MacOSX, QNX, and BeOS", actually.

    Nice to have decent OS implementators ;-)

    > Instead, I'm going to ask that our win32 port be made
    > to "not suck" with regard to handling encodings. It's
    > wrong to have strings without knowing their encodings
    > in our code. Further, that encoding shouldn't be
    > "whatever the user's current codepage is."

    As you probably already know, non-Unicode Windows builds (basically the Win
    9.x series and non-Unicode applications under NT based OS like Abiword)
    support just one pagecode at the same time, the one that matches the operating
    system. Strings have to be send to the OS in that page.

    > If win32 needs strings in the current codepage, it can
    > convert from UCS4 or UTF8 into the native windows
    > codepage. It's easy enough to do - you should perhaps
    > even create a class to do this conversion for you.

    I actually have created a place were all this conversions are made (see
    ap_Win32App.cpp (s_fromUCS4ToAnsi, etc). One day, when we have a Unicode
    builds these conversions will need to be change to Unicode instead of ANSI.

    > In short, I'm not going to hobble and break our other
    > 4 platforms just so win32 doesn't look broken.

    As you know, QNX, Mac does not have much users, that leaves us Linux + Win32.
    I prefer to see this as the amount of users that our decissions may be
    affecting instead of just counting platforms. Win32 is a user popular platform.

    > I can ask that Hub back-out this patch from STABLE.
    > However, a stated goal of AbiWord 2.2 is "use utf8 and
    > ucs4 strings internally in order to do
    > internationalization properly." So this patch stays.
    > I'm sorry.

    I'm not complaining about a single patch. I'm not asking this patch to be
    reverted becuase I agree moving toward UTF8, logically. I'm just asking extra
    care or information to make the win32 mantainance more simple. I'm just asking
    for extra care and love and information on what you guys are updating to UTF8.
    If not, in a few weeks the win32 build will just not run, and we are very few
    win32 hackers to fix it. You may just add a note in the commits warning that
    these commit may affect win32.

    Thanks,

    --

    Jordi Mas i Hernāndez (homepage http://www.softcatala.org/~jmas) http://www.softcatala.org