Re: Kelabit

From: Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan (sharuzzaman@myrealbox.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 06:18:39 EDT

    On Wednesday 08 October 2003 9:16 am, Pierre Abbat wrote:
    > I just got a message from printf scanf saying that the Kelabit po file is
    > ready. What should it be called?
    >
    > phma

    Kelabit is a subset of Borneo language, which have some similarities with
    Malay (ms). The SIL code is KZI. It does not have direct ISO code, but is
    grouped together with Malay. See
    http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=KZI and
    http://www.ethnologue.com/show_iso639.asp?code=map

    As the language is commonly used in Malaysia, can it be called kzi_MY, copying
    the pattern of ms_MY?

    I have suggested to "printf scanf" before, in order to test the translation,
    he must set the OS language to Malay (ms_MY) and rename the kelabit strings
    file to ms_MY.strings

    Maybe this kind of simple hack can be included in a special text file, so that
    if anybody is interested to use Kelabit language, must perform the name
    conversion themselves.

    It might not be necessary in the future if Kelabit language has a proper ISO
    code.

    -----
    Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan