Re: Error compiling enchant 1.0 RPM on Red Hat 9

From: M. Fioretti (m.fioretti@inwind.it)
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 11:13:32 EDT

    First of all, one word about the libnautilus/libeel dependencies: OK,
    their purpose is clear and makes sense now, but I will focus on the
    Gtk-only AbiWord, so no problem. Back to aspell now.

    On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 00:25:17 at 12:25:17AM +1000, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au) wrote:

    > Hi Marco,
    > It looks like enchant needs aspell. Which makes sense since by
    > default, aspell provides the best spell checker for English.
    >
    > Do you have aspell installed in your minimal system?

    I do have aspell 0.33.7.1, the version shipped with Red Hat 9 and it
    also includes ispell:

    [root@polaris marco]# which ispell
    /usr/bin/ispell
    [root@polaris marco]# which aspell
    /usr/bin/aspell

    So, the problems seems to be that OK, enchant wants aspell, but its
    makefile is unable to sense its presence on Red Hat 9. What now?

    TIA,
                    Marco Fioretti

    (for the record, updating to aspell 0.50 would break some dependencies
    on my system, and considering what I just said would not make things
    anything better, so I want try to force that unless you explain why it
    would work)

    --
    Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

    [media giants] have no idea how to do business with resourceful human beings rather than passive vegetables. So they run to [the] government for protection." -- Doc Searls on the SSSCA, in Linux Journal