Re: Error compiling enchant 1.0 RPM on Red Hat 9

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 11:39:32 EDT

    > > It looks like enchant needs aspell.
    > Which makes sense since by
    > > default, aspell provides the best spell checker
    > for English.

    Enchant does not need aspell. Enchant needs exactly 0
    backends. If you have a C++ compiler, we will,
    however, build Ispell and Myspell backends. And, IMO,
    myspell does a better job @ English than Aspell.

    > So, the problems seems to be that OK, enchant wants
    > aspell, but its
    > makefile is unable to sense its presence on Red Hat
    > 9. What now?

    The Enchant RPM wants Aspell, and should be fixed. The
    problem is that the configure script isn't enabling
    Aspell for whatever reason, and the RPM is insisting
    on installing the .so's.

    Step 1: Fix the RPM SPEC so that it doesn't want to
    install things that don't exist
    Step 2: Find out why Enchant doesn't like your Aspell
    installation. Try out CVS HEAD and see if it's any
    better.