Re: Error compiling enchant 1.0 RPM on Red Hat 9

From: Torstein Sunde (torsteinsspambox@myrealbox.com)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 06:06:43 EDT

    M. Fioretti wrote:

    > configure: WARNING: Didn't find aspell >= 0.50.0 and no explicit path
    > aspell specified. Guessing at /usr
    > checking for new_aspell_config in -laspell... no
    > configure: WARNING: Enchant building without the aspell library
    > [...]
    > File not found by glob:
    > /var/tmp/enchant-1.0.0-2-root/usr/lib/enchant/*aspell.so*
    > File not found by glob:
    > /var/tmp/enchant-1.0.0-2-root/usr/lib/enchant/*aspell.a

    I tried building Enchant on my old Mandrake 9.0 partition, with aspell
    0.33.7.1 and pspell 0.12.2, and I got the same errors.

    The failure is caused by this line in configure.in:
       AC_CHECK_LIB(aspell,new_aspell_config,build_aspell=yes,AC_MSG_WARN([Enchant building without the aspell library]),)

    In the old aspell/pspell combo, there is no new_aspell_config. Instead,
    pspell provides new_pspell_config. In aspell 0.50.x, there is a
      #define new_pspell_config new_aspell_config
    in pspell.h, so I believe it should be safe to test for
    new_pspell_config in any case.

    The enclosed patch changes the AC_CHECK_LIB line as explained above. It
    also fixes a parse error in the ASPELL_DICT_DIR definition for
    aspell < 0.50. With this patch, the RPM build completes successfully.

    Note that I haven't tested the patch with aspell 0.50.x yet. I didn't
    check if the RPMs actually work either, I just checked that they built.