Prototype: AbiWord using libgsf

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 17:33:06 EDT

    Gsf is a project that Jody, Morten, and Jon from
    Gnumeric and I were working on a while. It's an
    Input/Output abstraction layer. It's capable of
    reading and writing to things like:

    Memory Buffers
    Ordinary Files
    Bonobo Objects
    Windows IStreams/ADODB Streams
    GnomeVFS streams
    Glib GIOChannels

    It's capable of also handling compression seamlessly
    (gzip, bzip supported now). It also has a bunch of XML
    utilities. It also is a compound file abstraction - so
    that it can seamlessly handle ZIP, OLE2, TAR.GZ,
    etc... compound archives.

    Gnumeric already uses this. I'm about to create a
    branch of Abi that also uses it. Right now I have a
    *really* rough prototype that I don't like a whole
    lot. But it works for our XML inputs.

    Screenshot for the masses: this is Abi reading a file
    from our beloved webserver, Nyorp.

    http://www.abisource.com/~dom/abi-gsf.png

    Expect lots of improvements to happen in this upcoming
    branch, until everything of ours is capable of reading
    and writing to just about any medium you can imagine.

    Cheers,