Re[2]: Prototype: AbiWord using libgsf

From: Kenneth J. Davis (jeremyd@computer.org)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 13:28:00 EST

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:54:28 -0700 (PDT) Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz@yahoo.com> wrote:

    DL> > For developers on other platfroms, I believe the
    DL> > plan is for all platforms
    DL> > to have this capability, not just GNOME. libgsf is
    DL> > highly portable and
    DL> > employs portable libraries like glib, zlib etc.
    DL> >
    DL> > If you don't want your platform to have libgsf
    DL> > capability please send an
    DL> > email and complain and be specific in your reasons.
    DL>
    DL> Yeah, eventually I want to make all our platforms use
    DL> libgsf.
    DL>
    DL> First, I want to create a separate branch from HEAD so
    DL> that we can work on the gsf stuff in there. Once all
    DL> of our importers/exporters are ported over to use GSF
    DL> and once we get the various build systems working
    DL> properly, we can re-merge the branch with HEAD.
    DL>
    DL> I'm thinking slow-and-steady here - probably this'll
    DL> take a month or two along with a bunch of planning and
    DL> coordination on everyone's part.
    DL>
    DL> Thanks,
    DL> Dom

    Ignoring my bias against glib/etc on Windows, please do this
    in Head, I don't think my mind can handle another branch and
    if we are going to add this set of dependencies, then I want
    to go ahead and work on cleaning out/up* duplicated work
    (xml parser, iconv, ut_*, ...); switch the Windows build
    over to enchant, and alter the glib/gsf based plugins to
    no longer include glib/gsf/etc. (I'll try to commit their
    installer later today, after I get a chance to check/fix
    any build issues on Windows with them.) Also, are we going to
    build glib/gsf like we build the rest of our libraries or are they
    going to be binary additions to our build process? Does
    a Win32 developer need to talk with the Gimp for Win32 folks
    so we can share their glib implementation and coordinate any
    fixes necessary with them? Are we going to use their binaries?
    or just their source? is their glib/gtk/etc source the same as
    the Unix based one?

    *by out/up, I mean remove any duplicated stuff in our tree that
    can be replaced either by glib or by one of glib's dependencies
    and switch several of our static libraries over to their dll
    variants. My only technical objection to glib is the duplicate
    functionality; though I dislike the gnome/glib style and of
    course am a KDE not Gnome person.

    :-)
    Jeremy