Re: Prototype: AbiWord using libgsf

From: Mark Gilbert (markgilbert@hotpop.com)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 07:06:13 EST

    On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 04:17, Daniel Glassey wrote:
    > On Monday 27 October 2003 12:21 am, Dom Lachowicz sent forth the message:
    >
    > > > I would like to see all of this libgsf giving
    > > > benefit to all of you non-win32
    > > > systems, but also not adding unnecesary overhead on
    > > > the win32.
    > > >
    > > > A part of that, I think that is cool that people
    > > > from diffent projects
    > > > (Gnumeric, Abiword, etc) work together to share
    > > > code!
    > >
    > > Indeed.
    > >
    > > LibGSF doesn't have any dependencies except for
    > > Glib-2.0 and zlib really.
    >
    > Afaict that is probably a good part of the problem. If an aim of AbiWord is to
    > have the leanest meanest word processor out there on all it's platforms then
    > adding a dependency to win32 that increases the bin size from about 3.5MB to
    > 4.5+MB (afair glib+gobject is about 1MB on win32) really needs to be
    > justified. If the glib dependency could be optional then that would be fine.
    > The kitchensink build would be fine on modern systems, but it is a good niche
    > for AbiWord to be able to run on systems that can't cope with Oo.o.
    >
    > How tight is the glib dependency, any chance that the mini-glib in wv could be
    > used, or that we could make a mini-glib for it that wouldn't be too big?
    >
    > I thought it depended on libxml2 as well (win32 abi uses expat).

    win32 abi would greatly benefit with regard to bloat by not using expat.
    win32 abi already requires zlib.
    win32 abi already requires glib, via wv.
    win32 abi already requires libole2, via wv. (libgsf does ole wrappers, and much better than libole2)

    I feel like I'm forgetting some, but you get the idea. And quite
    frankly, there will be an immense amount of wheel reinvention necessary
    if win32 feature set is to stay on par with unix (charting engine based
    on glib, network file support) or get those extra little niceties like
    COM.

    But people have known my opinion on this for a long time, so

    Best regards
    -MG