Re: Prototype: AbiWord using libgsf

From: Daniel Glassey (danglassey-abi@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 04:17:35 EST

    On Monday 27 October 2003 12:21 am, Dom Lachowicz sent forth the message:

    > > I would like to see all of this libgsf giving
    > > benefit to all of you non-win32
    > > systems, but also not adding unnecesary overhead on
    > > the win32.
    > >
    > > A part of that, I think that is cool that people
    > > from diffent projects
    > > (Gnumeric, Abiword, etc) work together to share
    > > code!
    >
    > Indeed.
    >
    > LibGSF doesn't have any dependencies except for
    > Glib-2.0 and zlib really.

    Afaict that is probably a good part of the problem. If an aim of AbiWord is to
    have the leanest meanest word processor out there on all it's platforms then
    adding a dependency to win32 that increases the bin size from about 3.5MB to
    4.5+MB (afair glib+gobject is about 1MB on win32) really needs to be
    justified. If the glib dependency could be optional then that would be fine.
    The kitchensink build would be fine on modern systems, but it is a good niche
    for AbiWord to be able to run on systems that can't cope with Oo.o.

    How tight is the glib dependency, any chance that the mini-glib in wv could be
    used, or that we could make a mini-glib for it that wouldn't be too big?

    I thought it depended on libxml2 as well (win32 abi uses expat).

    > Everything else (network
    > layers, IStream, ADODB::Stream, ...) is optional
    > add-ons. It wants to be pluggable. It wants to
    > integrate with the native OS in ways that the OS
    > doesn't even yet integrate with itself. It's just
    > waiting for you to add the code in some areas.

    Regards,
    Daniel