Re: ATTN: STABLE tree closed / bug 5527

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 12:28:06 EST

    > I can reproduce bug 5527. Basically, the Spanish
    > Spell checker does not work.
    > This is bad, because Spanish is such a wide spoken
    > language. It's funny
    > because the Catalan spell checker works.
    >
    > It may have to do with the way that spell checker
    > hash is built.

    I never could reproduce it, even on Win32. It seems to
    vary depending on who built the packages. You also
    claim to have committed a fix for this. If you fixed
    it, why can you reproduce it?

    > Anyone does know if this happen in Unix also? May be
    > Dom that has been working
    > on Enchant can have a look into this.

    As far as I know, this doesn't happen on Unix.

    > The same Spanish has file copied over a directory
    > containing Abiword 1.0 works.

    This suggests that there is a code regression, and not
    a problem with how the hash file is built.

    I'm guessing that there is a problem in one of a few
    places:

    1) Iconv is not converting from UCS4->Latin1 properly
    2) The correct codepage for the spellchecker isn't
    being specified
    3) There is a bug inside of our Ispell code

    I don't know if people can reproduce this using
    Enchant on Unix or on Win32. We can ask. It's always
    "just worked" for me.