Re: otf fonts

From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 10:56:48 EDT

    At 6:32 AM -0400 9/9/03, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:
    >Leonard> OTF is actually a joint development between Adobe and
    >Leonard> Microsoft
    >
    >I was referring to CFF outlines in sfnt/ttf/otf packaging as Adobe's
    >invention. Clearly ms prefers to stick w/ glyf outlines.

            Adobe didn't have ANYTHING to do with snft/ttf - that was
    entire Microsoft and Apple as part of the original TrueType
    specification...Apple then extended it later on as part of their
    QuickDraw GX project, and many of those innovations have come back in
    OTF tables.

    >Leonard> Not really, since neither PDF or PS support OTF fonts.
    >
    >The point was that they support cff fonts,

            But you need to get them out of the OTF...You can't just "raw
    dump" the OTF data into the PS/PDF as you can with T1 and TTF fonts.

    >and the conversion from cff
    >otf to plain cff is easier than from glyf to t1 or cff or etc.

            TTF->T1 is pretty well defined and there is lots of open
    source samples - including one that is already in AbiWord...

    >(From what I read, there are still a lot of RIPs in service that do not
    >support type42

            I would find that VERY HARD to believe, since Type42 has been
    around since PS Level 2 (actually pre-level 2, in Adobe's RIPs).
    Anyone still using a Level 1 RIP today isn't doing anything serious...

    > -- or at least bureaus that had so many problems w/
    >glyf ttfs in the past that they are gunshy of them now....)

            Yeah, but those are also the bureaus that won't take PS or
    PDF from you anyway and ONLY want original materials...

    Leonard

    Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:leonardr@lazerware.com>
                          			     <http://www.lazerware.com>