Re: Re[2]: problem: windows does not render text properly

From: msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Sun Sep 14 2003 - 02:56:13 EDT

    >> more JM> bugs later.

    >> JM> As the win32 maintainer my opinion is that win32 build is unusable
    >> for JM> end-users and my recomendation is not publish a win32 binary
    >> until we JM> have this bug fixed.
    >>
    >> I agree with Jordi, the Windows build is Not ready for a 2.0 release;
    >> this should not hold up other platforms from a 2.0.0 release as we can
    >> make the Windows build available when we have a 2.0.1 release. I.e. do
    >> not make a public 2.0.0 Windows build available (except for those who
    >> want to test/help debug).
    >>
    >> For those who don't understand what we are talking about, see
    >>
    >> http://abiword.pchasm.org/screenshots/abi2-errors/
    >>
    >> which shows the loading of our build document and the effects of just
    >> line. That stated, it has improved quite a bit in the last 2 weeks
    >> (thanks Martin & Jordi ...), but not yet to a point that it is ready
    >> for the average end user.

    With my MING build of cvs 4 days ago. I don't see this at all. I'm running
    WinME. Jordi told me about an assert he was getting at around line 508 in
    the gr_Win32Graphics class. That assert shows that the characters are
    being placed at their zoomed sizes and not at the positions determined by
    the charwidths array. The assert can happen and maybe screen drawing bug
    can happen if you run a versin of Windows with BiDi support. Which I guess
    is Windows 2000 or Win XP.

    So to track down the bug see why it takes the path that leads to line 508
    in the gr_win32GRaphics class. I can't help at all. I don't even see the
    bug.

    On another note, it appears that the Win32Graphics class selects the wrong
    size font at low zooms. Win developers should look at the code in
    gr_Win32Graphics::findFont(....)

    to see why the font size is being chosen so badly.

    Put in debugmsg and break points in your debugger and see if the zoomed
    font size makes sense.

    Good Luck!

    Martin

    Good