Re: Windows System Boxes Internationalisation ...

From: Jordi Mas (jmas@softcatala.org)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 06:50:43 EDT

    > Hello Jordi,

    Hello,

    > I go back to you to know if you think it is worth filling an "SPR" (Software
    > problem report)

    Please fill a bug report for this. Add the i18n keyword on it. I would like to
    see this fix also.

    I just want to point out that future versions for Windows we may need to
    update the code to support the localisation of new common box dialog controls.

    > for the following issue ? I look at the problem and we find a quick solution
    > to translate
    > the windows system boxes using a hook procudure. Our solution rely on the
    > strings labels values
    > and not on the labels ids so it works for the French (and English) versions
    > of Windows. But doing a
    > solution that works for all the systems whatever is the language would be
    > also really straight forward.

    Your URL did not work for me.

    My opinion (if I did understand your propousal):

    1) Using a hook procedure is a bit of a radical solution. We can use, but only
    if it is no other solution. Most of common control dialog boxes allow you to
    setup your own window procedure, from there we can localise the box. For
    example, see LPOFNHOOKPROC entry in the OPENFILENAME structure for the common
    file/save dialog box. This is definitilly a more clean solution.

    2) We need to use the control IDs instead of labels. If you are running a
    German Windows or other non-French and non-English system this will not work.
    You also need to keep adding new languages. It's not a good idea. Also,
    control ids between different releases of the common dialog boxes stay the
    same. We can just have a map between the common control box item id to an
    abiword string for that control.

    Here my five cents.

    --

    Jordi Mas i Hernàndez (homepage http://www.softcatala.org/~jmas) http://www.softcatala.org