Re: FYI: KOffice will switch to OpenOffice.org file format

From: tomasfrydrych@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 02:12:26 EDT

    On 18 Sep 2003 at 21:40, M. Fioretti wrote:

    > Users should simply ask their governments to accept and release all
    > electronics documents in truly open formats, independent from any
    > single application, even if it is Microsoft office. Because it is
    > right. Period.

    That is so utterly naïve that I can hardly believe anybody can even
    consider this an argument: (1) I read and produce dozens of different
    documents every week; I have read about half a dozen government
    documents in my whole life time and those thend to be in PDF! (2)
    governments are made of politicians and politicians are by definition
    the people who are least interested in what is right, in politics money
    talks, and so companies like MS will be heard clear and loud. (3) even
    if all governmetns in the world decide to do what you propose, it will
    take years and years until I do not need to be able to share documents
    that are not in open format. I, and the thousands AbiWord users live in
    the real world, not an open source utopia.

    Tomas