Re: FYI: KOffice will switch to OpenOffice.org file format

From: M. Fioretti (m.fioretti@inwind.it)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 15:40:27 EDT

    On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 00:29:33 at 12:29:33AM +1000, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au) wrote:
    > >> Currently Microsoft make it only evolves to
    > >> follow MS-Word.
    > >
    > > And the OO format doesn't have the same issues - evolving for
    > > OO's needs and purpose.

    Wrong. Not anymore, this is the whole point.

    RTF is an open trap/illusion from only one private company, and exists
    to support MS word features. The "standard" is published by that
    company only, they can twist it around every other day without
    problems, on www.microsoft.com the standard itself is not downloadable
    in...RTF format, but as a windows only executable. Open, indeed.

    I already said that formats are NOT the application. Yes, that
    specific OASIS format came from OOo, but now is much bigger, and
    completely independent from them. OOo developers can change or rewrite
    their code overnight, but can't turn the standard upside down. That is
    now independent from any single app, and much more idle, as it should
    be, by the fact that is now controlled by a committee.

    Yes, it is a committee controlled by for profit companies, several
    bigger than Microsoft, but I see that as much better than one direct
    private monopoly as today.

    Furthermore, the office format is just one tiny part of OASIS, which
    aims to provide open standards for just about any kind of structured
    information. Forget bickering with OOo, check out www.oasis-open.org

    RTF belongs to Microsoft, cannot be accepted by who is trying to avoid
    lock-in.

    > (Good luck trying to get MS to support OASIS)

    No user or developers should waste one second to talk to Microsoft
    about this, and this is not another attempt to destroy Microsoft.

    Users should simply ask their governments to accept and release all
    electronics documents in truly open formats, independent from any
    single application, even if it is Microsoft office. Because it is
    right. Period. And for all the reasons above, OASIS is infinitely much
    more powerful and credible than RTF in this context.

    Ciao,

    Marco Fioretti

    --
    Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

    I love you, not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. -- Roy Croft