Re: Removing unneeded preferences

From: Alan Horkan (horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 11:15:17 EDT

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:

    > That would make sense but we presently do not do this. I guess this is
    > really a bug being hidden by preference. By Havoc's logic this should go
    > too. (Although right now this is not implemented.)
    >
    > >> id_COMBO_PREFS_SCHEME
    > >> do we really need them? On UNIX we have a non-working implementation at
    > >> the moment and I think one scheme per user should be enough. Keeping
    > >> around a default profile in each users' profile file seems to be cracky
    > >> as well. Can't we store it at a central location and merge it into the
    > >> user's profile at run-time?
    > >

    > Hmm this might also be more than we need. Anyone else got objections to
    > this being removed.

    For a long time I had vague intentions of putting together a keybindings
    set for Word Perfect users. We currently have sets for Emacs and Vi
    keybindings, which a few developer love to have when forced to produce
    Microsoft compatible documents.

    I believe some people (Andrew Dunbar where are you!) use the different
    settings schemes when working with mulitple languages. Having a way to
    switch/edit profiles that doesn't involve editing configuration files
    manually is essential for a proper graphical user interface.

    Even though Unix is a properly multiuser system, some people do still use
    their computers with muliple people using a single account (and I'm not
    just talking about Windows 98 (or less) users).

    I would ask that you investigate this one futher before removing it.
    I would much prefer if it could be fixed up to be a bit more useful, if
    you want me to try and specify how exactly I think it could be made more
    useful I will try and do so.

    Sincerely

    Alan Horkan
    http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/