Re: Removing unneeded preferences

From: msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 07:03:18 EDT

    > On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 13:48 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
    >> Since I'm currently redesigning the UNIX Preferences dialog, I've come
    >> across various preferences that can in my opinion be removed for all
    >> platforms. Comments/discussion is appreciated.
    >> [...
    >
    > The following options haven't been covered by Tomas' reply:
    >
    >> id_CHECK_SPELL_HIDE_ERRORS
    >> even more weird. We do spell-checking but don't show errors. Can't we
    >> merge those into one simple enable spellchecking setting?

    Your suggestion seems logical. Anybody else got reasons for this one?

    >> id_CHECK_SPELL_SUGGEST
    >> Don't suggest corrections? Why? What's the difference between
    >> HIDE_ERRORS and !SPELL_SUGGEST? Does the computer want to tell the user
    >> "Hah, I know the right correction, but I'm not going to tell 'ya!"?

    Seems needless to me too.

    >> id_CHECK_SPELL_INTERNET
    >> Spell-check URLs?! Can't we simply be smart about words starting with
    >> someprotocol://?

    That would make sense but we presently do not do this. I guess this is
    really a bug being hidden by preference. By Havoc's logic this should go
    too. (Although right now this is not implemented.)

    >> id_COMBO_PREFS_SCHEME
    >> do we really need them? On UNIX we have a non-working implementation at
    >> the moment and I think one scheme per user should be enough. Keeping
    >> around a default profile in each users' profile file seems to be cracky
    >> as well. Can't we store it at a central location and merge it into the
    >> user's profile at run-time?

    Hmm this might also be more than we need. Anyone else got objections to
    this being removed.

    >> id_CHECK_VIEW_UNPRINTABLE
    >> At least on UNIX, we have a print view. Is this view available on all
    >> platforms? Shouldn't this imply whether we show/hide unprintable
    >> characters?

    Not sure. It could be an overide to make sure no revision marks/hidden
    text is printed. Tomas?

    >> id_CHECK_VIEW_ALL
    >> What means not viewing all? This options is way to vague. It should
    >> either be renamed to do something more concrete or removed, if it's just
    >> a top-level modifier for _UNPRINTABLE/_HIDDEN_TEXT

    Any more ideas Tomas?

    >> id_CHECK_COLOR_FOR_TRANSPARENT_IS_WHITE
    >> id_PUSH_CHOOSE_COLOR_FOR_TRANSPARENT
    >> Can't we merge them? Having a checkbutton and a pushbutton is awkward.
    >> I'd prefer to have a reset button either inside the color selection
    >> widgets or next to the color selection pushbutton.

    If you have a good idea to simply this

    >> id_SHOWSPLASH
    >> Branding is nice. Showing a splash as well. Dunno, maybe I'm misguided,
    >> having a GUI for it makes me feel strange, though.

    I really *want* to have a splash screen by default. However giving users
    the option to remove it is good because the splash screen adds about 1 sec
    to the time before a user can start using the app.

    >> id_UNIXFONTWARNING
    >> Not displaying warnings is evil. Why not remove it?

    We no longer need this. It's a hangover from the 1.0.x series. Remove it.

    >> id_CHECK_ENABLE_SMOOTH_SCROLLING
    >> Is it CPU expensive?

    Yes it is. This doesn't work on machines less than 500 Mhz.

    >> id_CHECK_AUTO_LOAD_PLUGINS
    >> Why shouldn't we load plugins?

    They could add to the start up time.

    >> id_NOTEBOOK
    >
    > Could somebody please investigate them?

    Oh this might be the very start of having AbiWord Windows in tabs ala'
    tabbed web bowsing. Leave it but there is no need for GUI yet.