Re: Preferences dialog: Not implementing options without hacks

From: msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 06:50:25 EDT

    > I'm currently re-polishing the UNIX preferences dialog and stumbled
    > across the following problem:
    > I need a getter/setter for each setting although I don't have a widget
    > associated with it, e.g. the toolbar show/hiding is controlled via the
    > view menu, so I don't need any prefs UI for that. I don't want to
    > implement dummy getters/setters that return the prefs from the
    > cross-platform backend, because I consider it hacky to return something
    > to the cross-platform code I received from the cross-platform code
    > inside platform-specific code. I don't know much about CPP encapsulation
    > but wouldn't it be possible to have cross-platform getters/setters that
    > can be overridden by platform-specific code, but don't have to. This
    > would simplify my task a lot.

    Yes. Just declare the getter/setters virtual in the xp code then the
    virtual getter/setters in the platform code will overide them in Unix
    while leaving them OK for the other platforms.

    You'll only need to change the getter/setters in xp and unix this way too.

    PS. It took me ages to work out how these virtual methods work in C++ but
    it really is a cool feature.