Preferences dialog: Not implementing options without hacks

From: Christian Neumair (chris_at_gnome-de.org)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 04:27:46 EDT

    I'm currently re-polishing the UNIX preferences dialog and stumbled
    across the following problem:
    I need a getter/setter for each setting although I don't have a widget
    associated with it, e.g. the toolbar show/hiding is controlled via the
    view menu, so I don't need any prefs UI for that. I don't want to
    implement dummy getters/setters that return the prefs from the
    cross-platform backend, because I consider it hacky to return something
    to the cross-platform code I received from the cross-platform code
    inside platform-specific code. I don't know much about CPP encapsulation
    but wouldn't it be possible to have cross-platform getters/setters that
    can be overridden by platform-specific code, but don't have to. This
    would simplify my task a lot.

    regs,
     Chris