Re: Removing unneeded preferences

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 10:15:32 EDT

    > >> id_CHECK_SPELL_HIDE_ERRORS
    > >> even more weird. We do spell-checking but don't show errors. Can't we
    > >> merge those into one simple enable spellchecking setting?
    > >

    > Your suggestion seems logical. Anybody else got reasons for this one?

    This has been taken straight from Word; if there are too many errors
    in a document, the red squiggles are extremely distractive, but then
    you just need to turn the checking off. I think this can safely go.

    > >> id_CHECK_SPELL_SUGGEST
    > >> Don't suggest corrections? Why? What's the difference between
    > >> HIDE_ERRORS and !SPELL_SUGGEST? Does the computer want to tell the user
    > >> "Hah, I know the right correction, but I'm not going to tell 'ya!"?
    > >

    > Seems needless to me too.

    Again this is straight from Word, and I agree it seems rather
    useless.

    > >> id_CHECK_SPELL_INTERNET
    > >> Spell-check URLs?! Can't we simply be smart about words starting with
    > >> someprotocol://?
    > >

    > That would make sense but we presently do not do this. I guess this is
    > really a bug being hidden by preference. By Havoc's logic this should go
    > too. (Although right now this is not implemented.)

    This should be very easy to implement, since we already have
    UT_isUrl() function. I think the preference should go.

    > >> id_CHECK_VIEW_UNPRINTABLE
    > >> At least on UNIX, we have a print view. Is this view available on all
    > >> platforms? Shouldn't this imply whether we show/hide unprintable
    > >> characters?
    > >

    > Not sure. It could be an overide to make sure no revision marks/hidden
    > text is printed. Tomas?

    These come straight from word. What do need is the ability to show
    unprintable characters & hidden text. We need to differentiate
    between the two, but at present we do not. The main reason for this
    to be able to print hidden text without printing control characters.
    So we should have ShowHidden, PrintHidden, ShowUprintable.

    Tomas