Re: Removing unneeded preferences

From: Ryan Pavlik (abiryan_at_ryand.net)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 16:33:09 EDT

    Christian Neumair wrote:

    >On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 13:48 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
    >

    >>Since I'm currently redesigning the UNIX Preferences dialog, I've come
    >>across various preferences that can in my opinion be removed for all
    >>platforms. Comments/discussion is appreciated.
    >>[...
    >>

    >> id_CHECK_SPELL_INTERNET
    >>Spell-check URLs?! Can't we simply be smart about words starting with
    >>someprotocol://?

    That's an enchant/spellchecker issue, I think, I think it would be
    rather a hack for Abi to implement it in its main code. Possible,
    though. It doesn't work for me anyway, though, so...

    >> id_SHOWSPLASH
    >>Branding is nice. Showing a splash as well. Dunno, maybe I'm misguided,
    >>having a GUI for it makes me feel strange, though.

    This one I can answer. Don't remove it: Most default users will want
    it, have it default for branding. However, some people like to turn off
    these sort of things to speed response (I know I used to...), hence the
    GUI. It can load a little faster with it off.

    >> id_CHECK_ENABLE_SMOOTH_SCROLLING
    >>Is it CPU expensive?

    When you're running it on minimum requirements, where AbiWord can really
    outshine, yes.

    >> id_CHECK_AUTO_LOAD_PLUGINS
    >>Why shouldn't we load plugins?

    Probably in case a plugin is buggy and you can't load Abi to turn it off.